Member for Kiama Gareth Ward MP has today announced that young people from across the Illawarra, Kiama and Shoalhaven are encouraged to apply to be a part of next year’s Regional Youth Taskforce, a Ministerial advocacy group which will have a direct line to government to raise local issues faced by friends and classmates.
Mr Ward said that applications are now open for young people aged between 12 and 24 who want to have a say on the needs of their peers when it comes to services, programs and infrastructure in the region.
“The Taskforce will be made up of 18 members who will meet regularly with the Minister for Regional Youth and other representatives from NSW Government agencies and Cabinet,” he said.
“To local young people across our region, this is your chance to be heard, to voice your opinion on local issues, represent your mates and peers and help make decisions that drive change in your own local community.
“Between drought, bushfire and COVID-19, the past year has placed significant new pressures on young people in regional communities and it is more important than ever the interests of our local youth are appropriately represented.
“We know each region has different challenges, so we are seeking an even representation of two members from each of the nine NSW regions and we are looking for applications from everybody, not just the best and brightest, but those who can talk with experience,” Mr Ward said.
The NSW Minister for Regional Youth Bronnie Taylor MLC said that since its formation late last year, the inaugural Regional Youth Taskforce has provided advice and feedback on local issues resulting in immediate action and work undertaken to deliver real improvements.
“It is hard to believe that almost a year has passed since NSW’s first Regional Youth Taskforce came together to have a hand in making decisions and create change, but 2021 is around the corner and it’s time for more voices to raise fresh ideas,” Mrs Taylor said.
“In the brief time the 18 members of the 2020 Taskforce have worked together they have fed into youth strategies, made changes to the process for upgrading a P1 driver’s license online and advised on a holiday program for families living in drought.
“I want to personally thank each of the outgoing members from the 2020 Taskforce for their passion and commitment to supporting young people in regional NSW and urge every young person with an idea to make the time to apply to be involved next year,” Minister Taylor said.
Travel costs and accommodation will be covered for Regional Youth Taskforce members travelling across NSW for meetings.
To find out more or submit an application, please visit the website at: www.nsw.gov.au/regional-nsw/regional-youth-taskforce.
Applications are open now until Sunday 18th October 2020.